Homefun Term 1, Week 5 Room 12
√ What fun we had last Friday with House Spirit Day! As well as dressing in our house colours, we sat and had lunch with our house team. Then after lunch we practiced our chants, had a game then paraded around the field bellowing our house chants with great gusto. It was a great team building exercise.
√ We missed going to library last Friday but we will make sure we make it there this week. Thanks to those who have returned their library books already.
√ Early pick up on Thursday 3 March for Goal Setting Conferences. Children finish school at 1pm. We also have our third hockey session with the lovely Counties Manukau Hockey people. Our session is from 9.45am-10.15am.
You can write in the log below or do your own reading log straight into your homefun. Make sure you log your reading EVERY night.
1. Reading log – record your reading done each night
2. Maths – Basic facts (individually levelled). Practice your basic facts skills every night and move up the levels with the in class test on Fridays! If you want to look ahead at levels check it out on our school website. At the top of the school website page is a heading “Learning”, click on this and then scroll down and click on ‘Basic Facts Testing Programme’. The children have a maximum of four minutes to complete. I would love for the children to try and achieve 1200pts each week on Mathletics. Like regular reading, regular maintenance of maths is excellent for steady progress J.
3. Spelling - each week you will have 10 words from the Essential Word Lists to learn to spell. We have begun testing the children and placing them in the appropriate spelling list. As with Basic Facts, we will test these words every Friday.The Pukeko team are working on a new section for our Homefun to provide choice and variety in their home activities. We hope to gear this up for Week 6…watch this space!
Homefun Term 1, Week 4 Room 12
Expect home readers in book bags this week! Most reading groups will have the same reader for the week. As we advance our reading skills, we are focussing on reading in depth rather than just learning the skills for decoding. Children are welcome to include other reading books such as own choice from home, school library books, public library books, etc.
Reading a minimum of 10 minutes each night has been shown to greatly assist with reading progress.
1. Reading log – record your reading done each night
Listened to (L) or Independent (I) (ask your parents if you do not know what this means.
2. Maths – Basic facts (individually levelled). Practice your basic facts skills every night and move up the levels with the in class test on Fridays! If you want to look ahead at levels check it out on our school website. At the top of the school website page is a heading “Learning”, click on this and then scroll down and click on ‘Basic Facts Testing Programme’. These are timed tests.
Also do your maintenance each night on mathletics!
3. Spelling - each week you will have 10 words from the Essential Word Lists to learn to spell. We have begun testing the children and placing them in the appropriate spelling list. As with Basic Facts, we will test the children every Friday. As we are still testing, this week we will have a list of commonly misused homonyms. We have already focused on some of these in class. As well as practicing how to spell these each night, please put each word into a complete sentence that reflects their meaning in your homefun book. For example the word ‘table’
√ The dining table could fit six people comfortably for dinner.
´ Here is a table.
Here are your spelling words for this week J
there their they’re
to too two
Homefun Term 1, Week 3 Room 12
It’s been a great first two weeks in Room 12, getting to know each other and establishing some class routines. We have monitors in our class that help with the smooth running of our class. It is a great way for children to practice responsibility. Ask your child if they have a monitor job and what is their job description J
On Thursday of Week 5 we have our goal setting conferences. You can book in your time, just go to www.schoolinterviews.co.nz and enter the code 96N77.
I look forward discussing your child’s goals with you.
Getting to know you even better…
1. Use a full page to draw and label/name the people who live with you at your house (yes, you can include pets!) You can colour your drawing with pencil or anything that does not go right through the page.
2. Unscramble my answers to these questions…
What is your favourite colour/s? kipn
What is your favourite fruit? phaec
How old are you? tyorf rthee
What is your favourite sport? sinnet
3. Now scramble your answers to those same questions. Remember to underline the letter that the word begins with! See if someone at home can unscramble them.
Careful to have the correct spelling!
4. As well as reading independently each night, it is expected (for those of you with access to devices) to log in to Mathletics each night for 10-15 minutes. I can personally vouch for this website to have improved my three sons mathematic knowledge substantially. It is a fun way for the children to put into practice what they have learnt. Go to www.mathletics.com. Sign in with the username and password that has been glued into the back of the homefun book.Room 12
1. Attached to the Homefun is an outline of a postcard on yellow paper. Address your postcard to Mrs Honey, 15 Scotsmoor Ave, Wattle Downs 2103. Write me an interesting postcard. Tell me a place or activity you visited or did in the holidays. Make sure you include:-
· Where it took place
· Who was with you
· When it happened
· What happened
· Rate your holiday place or activity out of 5. 5 being ‘the most awesome’ and 1 being ‘You would not recommend to others’
2. HOME HELP
Following on from our PB4L focus from Week 1 ‘Do good because good is good to do’ choose one of following activities to do TWICE this week or choose two different activities
· Empty the dishwasher
· Put the recycling out into the recycling bin
· Weed an area of the garden
· Set the table ready for dinner
· Tidy my bedroom
Write and complete the following sentences…
a) I chose to do (name the activities you did)
b) After doing my activities it made me feel _____ because …
c) I think it made my parent/s feel _________ because…
d) Another chore I could help with at home is…
3. Read for a minimum of 10-15mins each night. From Week 4 we will record this in a reading log.
Our library day is Friday. If your child would like to return his/her book before each Friday, we have a blue library cube in class to safely keep their library books.
Mrs Tania Honey